Skip to main content

Trio Kenwood KD-1033 turntable main bearing service

  One of my first posts in this blog was regarding the servicing of the Pioneer PL12D turntable, and that has proven to be the most popular by a significant margin. The Pioneer PL12D had its competitors, and probably the most popular alternative was the Trio Kenwood KD-1033 turntable. I use both names (Trio and Kenwood) as the company operated under different names in different markets. In the UK they were Trio, possibly because the brand Kenwood was most famous here for food blenders. 95% of a KD-1033 is similar to  Pioneer PL12D, and servicing them is very much the same process. Both are belt drive , have an AC synchronous motor,  mechanical speed change , a main bearing, sprung top deck and rubber motor mounts. the KD-1033 uses a different type of anti skate mechanism, employing a thread and weight. The plinth is shallower with an internal cross brace. One aspect that is different is the design of the main bearing, and servicing it is a little harder than a PL12D. The Pioneer main b

GU10 halogen bulbs revisited

Things have moved on since my previous blog regarding GU10 halogen bulbs. To recap, 10 years ago we had our house extended and rewired. We had 40 recessed halogen light fittings installed, the type which runs from 240V main voltage (GU10) not the 12v system (MR16).

While the light is good, and the reliability of the bulbs has improved, they still use a lot of electricity (50 or 35 watt types) and get very hot. In my previous blog I explored the options which were available including first generation LED bulbs and Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFL) in the GU10 size.

That was two years ago , and at that time LED bulbs were not up to the job and CFL's , typically Megaman variety seemed the best alternative. These consumed only 11 watts and give pretty good light from a few minutes after turn on.


I posted a few follow-ups as I tried a few next generation LED bulbs and this post picks up at that point.

In my utility room I had 4 of the Megaman brand CFL GU10 bulbs and these seemed to be taking longer and longer to get achieve full brightness, though initially this had not been a problem. One failed and when I removed it, the bulb was discoloured , with brown marks around the edge and indications of heat stress cracks in the plastic. It also had developed a rattle if I shook it. I took out the three remaining Megaman bulbs, and though they still worked, they too all had the same characteristics of discolouration and cracks. they even all had rattles, though they still worked ! this prompted me to revisit LED bulbs. It also makes me think that the initial promise of CFL long life no longer carries much weight.

I have replaced CFL conventional bulbs increasingly frequently, and I'm guessing that as the prices have fallen , so too has the promised longevity. There is something of a backlash against CFL bulbs , partly due to the high cost of disposal. These bulbs when they fail, should not be thrown away with household rubbish, but recycled at your local tip with other fluorescent bulbs and tubes as they contain small amounts of toxic substances such as mercury.


So I purchased a number of the newer LED alternatives, which still promise long life and low power consumption, and this blog is my findings.

Here is my police line-up of the usual suspects, from left to right we have :















1) a conventional 50 watt halogen bulb, included for reference to size


2) A Megaman CFL GU10 equivalent

3) An LED bulb, purchased at Maplins for around £5. A very early example using a cluster of 24 conventional blue-white bulbs. As per my previous blog, this was very poor in terms of light quality, brightness and reliability. After a year a number of the individual led bulbs had failed.

4) A3 Watt alpha LED GU10 from B&Q, cost around £13. These were mentioned in the previous blog as the first LED alternatives that showed real promise. This uses an array of surface mount LED's behind a semi opaque diffuser. Great light colour though unsuitable as spotlights. immediate full brightness from switch on.

5) A
4 Watt GU10 High Power LED (20 piece SMD 5050, 320 Lumens, 50 watts equiv.) ( QB-1050) (Warm White) @ 11.99 each from SIMPLYLED on the web. These use surface mount LED's which are clearly visible in the picture as yellow blocks. The light is bright and well spread, though a little yellow. I have three of these in a guest bathroom and the light is good, though not quite as good as a halogen.

6) A
3 Watt Interlux™ GU10 Warm White at £10.99 from LEDLIGHTS4LESS on Amazon. these use 3 super bright LED bulbs through a diffuser. the construction is similar to 5) in that the body of the bulb is metal with cooling slots. These are closer to a spot light with good colour and come very close to a 35 watt Halogen. I have 17 of these in bathrooms and kids bedroom. These , while not quite as good as a halogen, give a nice bright instant light source and are my favourite LED GU10 bulb replacement.

I do have a couple of the 12v bulbs (MR16) in shower extract fan fittings with integral lights. While I tried MR16 LED bulbs from both SIMPLYLED and LEDLIGHTS4LESS, they flickered very noticeably. I believe this is due the the 'ballast' i.e the transformer that drops 240v down to 12v. These expect to drive a certain load , typically 20-50 watts. Unfortunately the 12v MR16 LED bulb is 3 watts, and so always check first to see if your MR16 lighting uses ballast power supplies capable of driving a few watts. I will add at this point that both SIMPLYLED and LEDLIGHTS4LESS replaced the MR16 bulbs with extra GU10's with no fuss and both gave exceptional service over the internet.

My conclusion is that while LED bulbs are still quite expensive (circa £10 per bulb) , they are capable of providing good light quality, with instant full brightness, while only using a few watts and staying cooler than a 50 watt Halogen. They are not quite as good as Halogen and I retain some in my kitchen work areas and above some cupboards in my bedroom where the premium light quality of Halogen is preferred,.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice review. I have just bought the interlux led bulb and this is by far the best of all of the bulbs that I have tried.
valuethinker said…
With £24 Philips 2700K, 40 degree angle, 7 watt LED bulbs I replaced all my 50watt halogens (GU10 fittings).

Light colour is fine (2700k).

Intensity is good, not noticeably less. Angle (40 degree) is a bit tighter.

I calculated my payback, at 13p/ kwhr for electricity (Southern Electric) at about 3000 hours.

For a kitchen lightbulb, we hit payback in less than 18 months. For other lightbulbs, longer than that.

On an NPV basis, against a halogen costing £4 and ignoring the winter heating effect (the waste heat heats the ceiling of the kitchen ;-)), then NPV is c. £80 assuming the bulb lasts more than 12,000 hours.

valuethinker
Anonymous said…
Worth trying Exergi too

Their previous 4.4 W GU10 lamp has a nice warm white colour (fine if you like warm white; I'm seeking a more neutral white which is difficult with LEDs, most of which are too blue or too yellow.)

Exergi are now making a similar but 3.6 W lamp. I haven't tried it yet.
Great information. I think I'm gonna try one, too.

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring a Pioneer PL-12D Turntable

 I got back into vinyl records about 18 months ago, and have collected a few hundred albums, mostly second hand. I have a number of turntables (NAD 5120, Ariston QDeck, Pioneer PL12D ) which I got also second hand. I keep a few, some end up passed onto friends, some that are too far gone are kept for spares. In most cases they have required a little work to get them running again. Last week I was lucky enough to get a Pioneer PL-12D turntable from freecycle. The lady who offered it, said that she in turn had received it from freecycle , and had replaced the belt but couldn't get on with the springiness of it, and had got a modern USB turntable. I have previously worked on one of these decks, and know what she means about the suspension system used. While this blog is specifically about this particular model of deck, many of the concepts are similar to others from this vintage. Many Japanese belt drive decks throughout the  1970's shared very similar construction, so this ma

Bracing IKEA EXPEDIT or KALLAX cabinets for greater rigidity when used with a turntable

The inevitable problem, too many records. Turntable and amplifier on top Like many record collectors around the world, I have a number of IKEA cube cabinets from both their EXPEDIT (older) and KALLAX (newer) ranges. These are easy to make, cheap to buy and perfect for record storage. The system comes flat packed and uses bolts and dowels to hold the system together. If you follow the instructions  the system is strong and should not collapse. You can augment the joints with PVA wood glue for extra strength. My turntable sits on top of an EXPEDIT 2x4 cabinet, laid along the long side, with some felt feet to support it from the floor, and you can use KALLAX in the same way. It's been great but has two problems I wanted to address : 1) Because the system has no back panel, the records  can be pushed too far back. 2) While the structure is strong and fairly rigid, there was some lateral movement. With heavy equipment on top, I found that if I nudged or knocked either top side, this all

a vintage Sonab 85S / Yamaha CP-500 turntable

The Sonab 85S turntable You'll see from this blog that I'm interested in vintage audio equipment , especially turntables and speakers. I keep an eye on ebay for potential bargains, and saw this turntable listed quite close to me and for a very good price, £60 buy it now, including 45 adapter, dust bug, DIN adapter, record clamp and a very nice Shure M95 cartridge. Condition listed as very good and with the original sonab headshell. I've been interested in this deck for sometime, as to my eyes , it's a particularly nice design, with the very simple tonearm and deep chassis. I was aware that the model , from the late 70's was a cooperation between Swedish manufacturer Sonab and Yamaha. I don't know how much was contributed by which firm, but the same deck, or one very similar is also to be found as the Yamaha CP-500, though typically in teak rather than black. There were two Sonab models , the 75 and 85, the former being a manual  deck, the latter an automatic, an